Many/much/lots of/a lot of的区别比较简单，单词many用于修饰可数名词，而much用于修饰不可数名词。短语lots of/a lot of既可用于可数名词，又可用于不可数名词。那是不是短语lots of/a lot of完全可以替代many和much呢？其实，在不同的场合中用法还是有一点小小区别的。
一般情况下，many/much更多用于疑问句和否定句中，而lots of/a lot of多用于肯定句中：
- There are lots of people in the street.—肯定句
- That is a lot of milk.—肯定句
- There aren’t many people in the street.—否定句
- How much milk do you want?” is a question. —否定句
- There are many people in the park.
- There are lots of people in the park.
但是，在更正式的场合，我们更多地使用Many/much，而不是lots of/a lot of。比如，我们对朋友，一般会说
- There are lots of cars in the street.
- People have written a lot about it.
- There were many cars in the street that day.
- Much has been written about it.